Support Bill 22-0223 Public Restroom Facilities Installation & Promotion Act of 2017
Let members of the DC City Council know that you are in favor of:
CLEAN, SAFE, AVAILABLE PUBLIC RESTROOMS FOR EVERYONE in needed areas of DC
A DC Council hearing on Bill 22-0223 is scheduled for January 10 2018
Bill 22-0223 was introduced April of this year by Council Members Nadeau, Grosso, Silverman, and R White. It is inspired by lessons learned and best practices from cities in the US and elsewhere that have successfully installed clean, safe, available public restrooms for everyone.
Proposes the establishment of a working group consisting of DC Water, DDOT, DGS, DHS, DPR, and DPW. They will be responsible for:
- Identifying -- in close consultation with ANCs, BIDs, and community associations -- at least 10 sites in areas of the District with limited access to public restroom facilities where stand alone public restrooms available 24/7 can be installed;
- Authorizing the creation of a subsidy program for private entities to open their restrooms to the public
Requires the MPD and the Mayor to provide annual public restroom reporting.
It is very hard, when you have to go, to find a clean, safe restrooms in Washington DC:
- Only 3 public restrooms open 24/7 and no signs
- Off the Mall, only 5 public restrooms open during the day for limited hours, and there are no signs
- Private facilities are increasingly closing their restrooms to the public.