Urge your state legislators to co-sponsor workers' rights bills in Maine
Workers deserve more rights
We live in a culture where corporations simply have too much power. Currently, they can:
- Ask us to sign away our rights
- Push us out of our jobs for any reason or no reason
- Work while grieving a loved one
- Check our credit in the hiring process
- Fail to conduct investigations for reports of sexual harassment
- Discriminate against those suffering from domestic violence
- Retaliate against injured workers
- Make it difficult for us to leave toxic workplaces when our healthcare is tied to our jobs
- Silence us when we've been abused
- Pay some workers below minimum wage
- Not grant sufficient sick leave amid COVID-19
- Conduct abusive scheduling practices
- Avoid accountability for discrimination through wages and promotions
- Steal wages
- Block public employees from striking
- Ask about our desired salary ranges, which has a discriminatory impact
- Verbally abuse and sabotage workers with zero accountability
We can change this toxic culture for workers through by passing these bills into law:
At-will employment, LD553/HP398
This bill will prohibit an employer from terminating the employment of an employee without cause.
Discrimination based on natural hairstyles, LD598/SP237
This bill will prohibit discrimination in employment and education based on hair texture or hairstyle.
Domestic violence victim discrimination, LD1294/SP422
This bill will prohibit discrimination in employment based on an applicant seeking or receiving a protective order.
Racial impact statements, LD2/HP5
This bill will require the inclusion of racial impact statements in the legislative process,
Wage theft, LD616/HP452
This bill will increase accountability for wage violations.