Friends of the Earth Action Network
Action Network is a digital campaigning tool designed to complement your local campaigning and raise the profile of your group. On this page you'll find video tutorials and guides to help you manage your group's account. If you need help please contact email@example.com
Sign your group up to Action Network
Fill in this form if your group wants to use Action Network.
New to Action Network?
Managing your group account
We'll create an Action Network account for your group and invite you join it. Please watch these short video tutorials as a first step.
- Getting started with Action Network – creating a login and getting set up
- Managing your group's account – how to find your content and navigate the menus
- Giving other people access to the account
The Get started guide (pdf) also shows you how to set up and manage your account.
Managing your content
The videos below show how to manage the content you create in Action Network.
- Managing your content in Action Network – how to make changes and manage your work
- Editing the automated emails – tailor the emails people receive after taking action
- Editing social media and email share content – update the sharing content for your work
- Adding a link – how to include links e.g. on petition pages or in event descriptions
- Capturing street address and mobile phone - edit the form fields to gather more data
- Customising forms for actions and events – if you need to gather more information from people
- Applying tags to custom questions on your form builder - so you can identify people afterwards
- Redirecting out of date actions and events – help people avoid seeing 'Page not found' messages
- Using Files – how to use the file storage system.
- An introduction to Syndication - edit and publish templates that have been shared with you
- How to find, edit and send a syndicated email in Action Network
- Create a campaign page - need somewhere to dipslay information about your campaign?
Ready to start a digital petition? Then here's how to get create one.
- Create a petition (video)
- A petition in 3 steps (pdf)
- Creating a petition - the detailed version (pdf)
- Using Kiosk mode to make it easier to add petition signatures - useful when using a tablet, phone or laptop to collect signatures on a stall or at an event.
- Quick and easy method (pdf and word format)
- Alternative method - includes mapping/removing signatures
Unlike petitions, Letter Campaigns result in emails being sent whenever anyone takes action with you. The video tutorials below show how to create one. If you want to target your elected representatives (councillors, MPs, Assembly Members) please get in touch.
There's also a written guide; Create a Letter Campaign (pdf)
Applying different template messages to different targets - Need the targets of your Letter Campaigns to get different messages? Here's how to do it.
You can use Action Network to create both free events and ones where people have to pay to get in.
For a free event, here's how to get started.
For a paid event, check out Action Network's guide on Ticketed events, which includes information on setting up an account with the payment provider Stripe.
Use Action Network to create data collection forms . For example, you might want a page where people can make a pledge, fill in a survey or sign up to join your email list.
Sending emails is a 3 stage process, with options for how you design the email. Please spend some time looking at how the Drag and Drop design tool works, it will help you create much more engaging and attractive looking emails.
- Getting started (2mins)
- Stage 1: Creating your email with the Drag & Drop designer (5 mins)
- Stage 1: Creating your email with the Visual/HTML designer (5 mins)
- Stage 2: Targeting your email (3 mins). Updated email targeting view (5 mins)
- Stage 3: Previewing and sending your email (2 mins)
Written guide - Sending an email (pdf)
Additional video tutorials for emails
- Drag and drop emails: a deeper dive into how it works
- Creating templates with Layouts
- Divider, header and menu content blocks: in the Drag and Drop designer
- Personalising emails with clips; make sure your emails include the reader's name at the start
- Adding a button to highlight links; make your links stand out
- Adding hyperlinks within your email
- Adding images
- Creating social media share links (video tutorial). And written guide (pdf)
- Targeting an email based on postcode areas or districts
Create a welcome email
Why not spend a few minutes setting up a welcome email? That way anyone who signs up to your list gets to find out about your group without having to wait for you to send your next email. They're really easy to set up and can make all the difference in making people feel welcomed.
Managing your email list
When people take action with you they can also join your email list. Action Network will do most of the work for, in line with the UK's data regulations. The videos below show how to manage your list if you need to.
- Using the Reports and Activists functions – analyse your data and email list.
Updated report view (5 mins)
- Uploading a new list with tags and custom fields – add an existing list of contacts to your Action Network account. See here for more detailed guidance from Action Network.
- Using tags to organise your email list – want to divide your list into different categories? Try tags.
- Editing custom fields on an individual's record – edit, add or delete custom field values from an individual's record.
- Targeting using Tags and Custom Fields - useful for emails and reports
- Mapping your email list - to parliamentary constituencies and council wards
- Downloading your group's email list (pdf) using the Report function.
- Adding someone to your list – useful when you have small numbers of people to add
- How to edit records in Action Network – e.g. changing people's contact details
- Editing an individual's email preferences – e.g. taking them off your email list
- Deleting records from your group's Action Network account
- Identifying people who are on Friends of the Earth email list
- Data processing agreement – use this form to confirm you understand your group's responsibilities and liabilities around handling data held within Action Network.
Warm Homes campaign
- Find, edit and publish your Warm Homes petition
- Find, edit and publish your Warm Homes kick-off event booking page
Understanding how to use Action Network is onlt one half of the equation. The other half is the words you use in your petition or email. The resources below are designed to help you inspire people to take action.
- Create a digital petition – full of ideas for how to get lots of people signing your petition.
- Build an email list – our top tips for growing and managing your email list.
- Top tips for an action email – when you want people to do something e.g. register for an event, sign a petition
We offer a variety of digital training throughout the year. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss upcoming opportunities.